3.23.2009

An unexpected meal in London

Tonight I find myself in London... I'm staying at the Hyde Park Radnor, a quaint and affordable little hotel located a mere 2 minutes from Paddington station. The hotel is comfortable and reasonably priced - a mere 65 pounds for a room with a private bathroom. The room is a bit on the tiny side but, when you're traveling on your own, does it really matter? Everything is nice and clean and the location? Well, the location is ideal. Paddington is two blocks away and provides easy access to the tube and the Heathrow Express. Walk two blocks the other way to Hyde Park Square where 80% of the parked cars are Mercedes, BMW or Audis (not to mention a Rolls, two Bentleys and a Ferrari).

Now, for dinner I had planned on going to Crisitini. Unfortunately, the restaurant was hosting a private party and was closed. Edgware was only a few blocks away so my back-up plan was to go to Maroush, a local Lebanese chain. I never made it. While walking down Connaught, I spotted Arturo - a very nice and reasonable Italian restaurant and one that I would recommend.

Monday nights, one can order from the prix fixe menu at any time (otherwise only available as an "early bird" dinner). The three course prix fixe is only 16,95 pounds. I started with a carpaccio di tonno, followed by orata al forno (a delicious white fish) and had a fritella for dessert. I topped that off with a glass of white wine and paid a mere 20.95 plus service of 12,5%. A very good meal and an excellent value.

Tomorrow is going to be a crazy day... a meeting in Swindon, coffee with a partner at Paddington and then an appointment on Upper Thames Street. It will be a whirlwhind but hopefully it will bear fruit.

No comments: