5.17.2007

A Step Back in Time at Las Alamedas

Las Alamedas is one of those old school Houston restaurants that's been around as long as you can remember and pretty much has never changed. My wife had heard me talk about Las Alamedas recently. I kept commenting that we hadn't been since we were dating. She surprised me by taking me there for my birthday. I was thrilled.

The Main Dining Room at Las Alamedas

I had fond memories of going there as a kid and enjoying the architecture that reminded me of our trips to Mexico City. This visit didn't disappoint. Stepping into the restaurant is like leaving the chaos of the Katy Freeway and stepping into a miniature (relatively speaking of course) version of a hacienda like La Hacienda de Los Morales in Mexico City. I would gladly go to the bar just to kick back and enjoy one of the restaurant's top shelf margaritas. A premium margarita with Patron Silver will run you $9.00 and the bartender didn't skimp.

The Bar's Old World Charm

The main dining room is known for its tall windows overlooking greenery and a ravine. We actually reserved the wine cellar - a little private room before the main dining room. In a sense, you're on display as everyone who goes to the main room walks by but we actually found the experience just as entertaining as it was romantic (including the father who kept telling his kids we were in jail).
Parties of Four Can Reserve the Wine Cellar

The food was excellent - not spectactular but very tasty and certainly much much better that 99% of Texmex fare found around town. We started with a tasty and, anything but light, queso fundido campeche. Do yourself a favor and order a small. It is more than enough for two people and only $6 - a bargain considering the rich cheese has shrimp and crawfish. For dinner, my wife had the Huachinango Pontchatrain - a cajun inspired red snapper - and I had the Tres Caballeros with three tenderloin medallions. Both were very hearty portions and quite tasty.

I've heard service can be spotty but ours was excellent and our waiter was very attentive and did a thorough job of providing recommendations from the menu. The wine list was a little on the antiquated side but who goes to a Mexican restaurant for wine?

Overall, we enjoyed it and would gladly go back.

No comments: