1.26.2008

Heading South of the Border

It looks like we'll be heading to Cancun before the summer... a company reward trip for a job well done. We're excited. Not only do we love to travel - we really love to travel for free! Who doesn't.

My wife hasn't been to Cancun before and I haven't been there since a 8 day raucous spring break trip in 1992. My memories of Cancun are a bit incomplete, if you know what I mean. I remember Cancun as a very touristy version of Mexico and I know it's pretty much the same... probably on a much bigger scale. If you want to experience the "real" Mexico, Cancun isn't it. Still, what you do get is a warm and sunny vacation with beautiful white sand beaches and gorgeous turquoise waters.

We'll be staying at the Cancun Palace, a 600+ room all-inclusive resort. From what I've seen, the resort looks fantastic. Every room has a balcony with most facing the ocean and a few facing the lagoon. Every room has a jacuzzi and a large bathroom. Reviews on TripAdvisor are largely quite positive. I understand the hotel used to be less "modern" in design (pre-Wilma) and had more of a Mexican feel. Some people complained about that but, again, if you're looking for "old world Mexico" you might want to pick another resort.

While there, I'm sure we'll do a whole lot of nothing. Our agenda, from what we understand, will be relatively open. One sidetrip we'll probably take is Isla Mujeres. Rather than taking the typical booze cruise, we plan on taking a ferry to the island and then renting a golf cart to get around and do our own thing.

More on the trip when it approaches...

No comments: