7.10.2007

The Place to Stay in Austin

Made a quick trip up to Austin today to visit a client who happens to be running one of our classes. I'm sitting in the lobby of the Embassy Suites in the Arboretum, waiting for the class to break for lunch as I don't want to interrupt them at an inopportune time. Rather than flying up, I made the 2 1/2 hour drive to Austin - a bit weird and boring without my wife since I can't remember the last time I came to Austin without her. I had planned on staying the night with her but due to a variety of reasons, I'm just going to drive back today.


I had made a reservation at the Hotel San Jose - a great hotel to visit if you happen to be coming to Austin. First off, the hotel is immensely popular as it has a great sense of style and is located smack dab in the middle of the SoCo or South Congress. Finding a room here on a weekend during Longhorn football season, for example, is impossible. Yes, you can be placed on the wait list but I've never had that pan out.

If you do stay, skip the shared bath rooms and look for something like a Grand Standard or a Double Queen, located off the street and in the courtyard. The rooms are more spacious and quiet. All rooms have Internet access, great toiletries (gotta love the MOP products they use) and great modern design. One of the best features of the hotel is the grounds - whether hanging out by the pool, enjoying a drink at the immensely popular courtyard lounge ('til midnight) or heading next door to Joe's Coffee Shop for a cup o' joe or breakfast.

We just love staying at this place - it has that "it" factor that you find in cool mid-century hotels in Palm Springs but is mostly lacking in Houston or Austin. Room rates are a little on the high side but you should at least stay there once.

Back to work...

No comments: